A new Mudra for a small lump on my leg
Learning of my interest in Mudras, colleague JM, who is also a yoga teacher, lent me his Mudra Werkboek by Gertrud Hirschi, a swiss yoga teacher (a 1999 Dutch translation of: Mudras – Yoga mit dem kleinen Finger, 1998). Hirschi published a new Mudras book in 2006, which I guess is an update.
The most intruiging bit of the book is on page 199, which shows how you can create your own mudra:
- Study the book and the energies of your hand
- Show respect!
- Study the characteristics of each finger and choose the posture that fits [the selected bits?]
- Formulate the goal of the mudra in positive terms [i.e. I have a smooth leg]
- Speak the sentence loud and slow thrice with a breath each
- Picture the outcome
- Try feeling the result
- Dedicate your mudra to a divine power or deity of your choice
- Wish the outcome with all your heart, but remain patient and trusting
Does this sound a bit like creating your own magic spell? Well it wouldn’t be the first time magic and yoga are considered twins. Anyway, I have yet to try it out. The energies of my hands still baffle me. Some serious contemplation is in order, methinks.